1) The name shall be “Kenwood Ladies’ Pond Association” referred to henceforth as “the Association”.
2) The purposes of the Association shall be:
(a) to represent the views and interests of the users of the Pond to the authority responsible for Hampstead Heath;
(b) to promote the interests of the users of the Pond so that it may continue to provide for women and girls, irrespective of race, disability, class or sexual orientation, a quiet , peaceful place to swim and relax;
(c) to seek to co-operate with staff in the proper running and maintenance of the Pond; and
(d) to promote diversity of access to the Pond, positively encouraging its use by women in the locality irrespective of background.
3) Membership shall be open to all users of the Pond. The Management Committee shall be empowered to refuse or withdraw membership to any woman acting against the interests of the Association. There shall be a right of appeal to an Appeals Sub-Committee whose members shall be nominated at the Annual General Meeting. This sub-committee shall consist of 3 members.
4) Each member shall pay an annual subscription. The financial year shall run from 1 April to 31 March. The subscription shall be reviewed annually at the Annual General Meeting. Annual subscription is payable by 1 April each year. Those who have not paid by 31 May for the previous year will be deemed to have lapsed their membership.
Management of the Association
5) The affairs of the Association shall be co-ordinated by a Management Committee of not less than eight women who are regular users of the Pond, elected by the members of the Association at the Annual General Meeting. The Management Committee shall meet not less than 3 times per year. Any vacancies that occur during a year may be filled by co-option by the Management Committee. A quorum for meetings of the Management Committee shall be six. (“Regular users” shall include those who regularly swim winter and summer; those known to be regular summer swimmers; and others accepted as having a special interest in the Pond).
6) The Management Committee shall comprise of the following positions:
(b) Vice Chair;
(d) Treasurer; and
(e) At least 5 additional “general” members.
7) Nominations for all positions on the Management Committee shall be sought 28 days before the scheduled Annual General Meeting. A nomination form will be included in the winter newsletter posted to all members. In order to be nominated a member should have subscriptions paid up to date. She should be nominated by two other fully paid up members who have signed the nomination form which should then be returned before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
8) Nominations for the Membership Appeals Sub-Committee will be sought annually, from fully paid up members of the Association at the Annual General Meeting. The three positions on the sub-committee may be nominated and seconded by members present at the meeting and the positions will be filled on the basis of those nominated being available “as and when needed” in the event of an appeal.
9) In general specific named positions (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer) will be held for no more than 5 consecutive years by one individual. However by agreement of two thirds of voting members at the Annual General Meeting this period may be extended.
Annual General Meeting
10) The Management Committee shall call an Annual General Meeting and shall submit a report of the Association’s activities during that year. The Annual General Meeting shall not be held later than the end of March each year. At least 28 days’ clear notice of the meeting shall be given to all members of the Association and this shall include the invitation for nominations to the Management Committee. The quorum shall be not less than 10% of total membership.
11) The business of the Annual General Meeting shall include election of a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer (the Officers of the Association), who shall all by virtue of those offices be members of the Management Committee. This meeting will also formalise the election of at least 5 other Management Committee members duly nominated.
12) The Management Committee may call any other Extraordinary General Meeting which it considers necessary, where possible giving 14 days’ clear notice to the members of the Association. Members may, on making written representation to the Management Committee, call for the convening of an Extraordinary General Meeting and shall give reasons for the holding of such a meeting. Where possible at least 14 days’ clear notice of such a meeting shall be given to the members of the Association together with the agenda for such a meeting. At any Extraordinary General Meeting a quorum shall be not less than 10% of total membership.
13) Amendments to the constitution shall be made only at an Annual General Meeting or at an Extraordinary General Meeting. Proposed amendments shall be sponsored by not less than six members and notice of the precise wording shall be given in writing to all members not less than 14 days before the meeting. Such amendments to the Constitution shall require a majority of not less than two thirds of the voting members present at that meeting.
14) The Treasurer shall maintain a record of income and expenditure and shall submit at the Annual General Meeting a statement thereof. Any significant expenditure not authorised by the Committee shall be pre-authorised by the Treasurer and one other officer.