Apologies: Alison Assiter, Margaret Dickinson, Melanie Reed.
1.1 Mary Powell talked us through the changes as discussed at our last meeting. We discussed the following:
· the appeals committee would have 3 volunteers to be called on as needed (nominated by the AGM)
· on the section for accounts, remove last sentence as agreed in our last meeting and change to “significant expenditure not authorised by the committee shall be pre-authorised by the Treasurer and one other officer”
· Mary to make these two changes and to report on the changes to the AGM
· the amended constitution will be sent out with the notice of the AGM.
2. Chair’s report
2.1 General issues:
· thanks to Anne E for hosting the tea party. We will need to consider a new venue for the next one that will be fully accessible. We can ask at the AGM for suggestions
· Jane has raised the issue of dogs and constabulary with the lifeguards. Simon Lee agreed to talk to the constabulary that they should not be visible when they visit the lifeguards
· thanks to all who helped for the breakfast swim for the men. There was a large turnout and it was very successful. There are plans to do this every couple of months in the winter
· New Years Day swim: some issues have been raised about catering, numbers, helping out. Jane suggested we put this on the agenda for the September meeting so we can prepare better for the next one. A lot more women are turning up who don't swim and have no connection to the Pond, so there is a lot more work involved in catering
· a Halloween swim and then a winter solstice swim were held by different groups of women, both were enjoyable. Discussion that the lifeguards should have a say in who comes to these swims and all request for these events should go through the lifeguards
· Wyn's bench was installed in November on the upper meadow
· new steps from the deck (designed by Mole) will be installed soon.
2.2 The open meeting on 29 January is for members only. There have been 2 key appointments in the CoL: a Strategic Landscape Architect, and the Design & Engineers Team. We have up to the end of February to give our proposals on what we would like with the dams work and what our constraints are. Discussion that we need to have some clear messages and options for the meeting. What are the current practices we don't want to change, what are the 'red lines' that we don't want to cross, eg we don't want the dam raised or lifeguard facility to be moved away; we don't want changes in the opening hours or current charging set-up and we want no form of income generation to be introduced; we want only one swimming pond to be closed at any time due to works. What do we want to get out of the work: improvements to the deck and changing room facilities, muddying out the pond. Agreement by all that we want as modest and as few changes as possible.
2.3 Agreed we should have a donation bucket at the meeting.
Action: Jane to write a draft of KLPA's position for all to comment on; once agreed Fiona to send this out to the email distribution.
2.4 We will also use the meeting on the 29th to discuss proposals for the table tennis area (no more than 15 minutes). Proposal is for a covered bench. Up to 25 women currently play table tennis.
Action: Jane to find out the costs of the proposed changes.
3. Treasurer’s report
3.1 The current balance is about £4,600. Anne E has researched various options for different types of membership.
3.2 Life membership: Anne E has researched and the usual standard is 25 times the annual membership for people under 65 and 16 times the annual fee for those over 65. We agreed we will put this proposal to the AGM.
3.3 We discussed various options for family membership and agreed not to pursue this.
3.4 Girl children up to age 16 can join free. We agreed we will put this proposal to the AGM.
3.5 Paypal options: only the email address would be given for someone who pays, it would be difficult to work out who paid. Suzanna noted that Paypal also charges a lot for each transaction. We agreed not to take up this option.
3.6 Standing order is easy, women need to set this up themselves and we will get the same info as on the subscription form. The subscription form will need to include new details for a standing order and the info we want from women using this option.
Action: Anne E to put options for life and child membership to the AGM; to put new details onto the subscription form.
4. Membership Secretary's report
4.1 Anne B has removed some non-payers, membership currently over 500 (not all of these are paid up).
5. Website: to be deferred to next meeting as Melanie and Margaret absent.
6.1 We discussed options for a speaker for the last half hour. Discussion about whether to invite Ruth Corney or other options.
Action: Anne E or Suzanne to try Stephen Myers who wrote about the hidden rivers of London; Mary to try Frank Chalmers to talk about the history of swimming – we will see who is available but Frank is first choice
Action: Anne E and Anne B to take subscriptions before the AGM
Action: Fiona E will do photocopying; Suzanna can do if this not possible and to bring soft drinks
Action: Mary to bring bin bags, kitchen towels, sharp knives, serviettes
Action: Jane to bring 8 bottles of wine
Action: Ray to bring a roll of table cloth, plastic forks and cups
Action: Anne E to bring paper plates.
6.2 Newsletter copy date to be Friday 8 February. To include the proposed constitution, Chair's report including the 29 January meeting, proposals on life and child membership and standing orders, the membership subscription form and other items.
6.3 Election of officers:
· Fiona standing down as Secretary (Cath might consider doing this)
· all other officers and committee members will be standing apart from Alison Assiter who has said she will resign.
6.4 Suzanna offered to take on sending out messages and newsletters to the email distribution list.
Action: Fiona to provide details on the duties involved in the Secretary role.
7.1 Cath said heating in the changing room is still not very good.
7.2 Cath sold 50 swimming hats and will do a new order in a lighter green with black lettering. The lifeguards don't want to sell these in the summer months.
Action: Cath to do an item on the swimming caps for the newsletter.
7.3 Conservation working party: Anne E thinks few swimmers are now working on this and we agreed this should be wound up. Anne E will talk to Kim.
7.4 Jane will talk to the lifeguards about where to store the mugs.
7.5 We will recommend future committee meetings to be held only on Mondays.
7.6 Next committee meeting to be in April / May – date to be decided after the AGM.